Friday, March 26, 2010

Food, Glorious Food!



The preferred foods so far are rice, sweet potato, chicken, and beef -- and, apparently, high-chair tray. I'm beginning to feel even more like I'm raising a very slow-growing puppy.

We went to the pediatrician this morning for shots. Doc says he's doing great, 50th percentile for weight and head size but 90th plus for length! Apparently he takes after his daddy. In the waiting room I gave Mowgli a few blocks to pull apart and fiddle with. He was particularly entranced with a green one which almost matched the pull-ring on one of his travel-seat toys. He'd hold the block beside the ring and look from one to the other with an expression of profound thought. I don't know if he was intrigued by the colors being so close or offended that they didn't match. Either way, the nurse and doctor thought it remarkable.

After shots and a good long consoling nursing session, we went to the market. I'd intended to restock my dried apricot supply, but ended up shopping for veggies and fruits as well. The goal: making Mommy a good cow without making Mommy the size of a cow. Lunch was zucchini, summer squash, and snow peas with rosemary and a little omega-3 enriched margarine-stuff, along with a low-fat carrot cornbread from a mix plus other goodies. I like using cornbread as a foundation for pumpkin or carrot breads, and seeing the market's excellent but fattening muffins had put me in the mood for cinnamon, walnuts, and raisins with my carrots. It was quite good, but now I'm jonesing for another piece.

Mowgli likes the market -- nifty flags on the ceilings, pretty-colored things in the bins, and lots of people to fuss over him. He's now been chatted to by women of pretty much every possible color, shape, size, and nation of origin on one trip or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment